The NHMSFAP awards accreditation to facilities for a period of up to five years.
Existing facilities must undergo a reaccreditation assessment at four years and correct any non-conformances to ensure compliance with standards before the award expires.
Addition or expansion of services
Facilities must make an application to the NHMSFAP Committee to:
- add any medical, surgical, dental or anesthesia procedures
- add programs not currently performed at the facility
- expand an existing medical-surgical program
- enter into a new contract with a health authority or other third party
The medical director must do the following when planning for the addition or expansion of services:
- conduct a thorough clinical evaluation of the facility
- provide evidence that the facility can provide a safe environment to ensure quality patient outcomes
X-ray or laser equipment
Facilities considering adding X-ray or laser equipment must contact the NHMSFAP.
The following may be required for facilities planning to add X-ray or laser equipment:
- an on-site assessment to confirm NHMSFAP standards for laser safety and X-ray and radiation safety are in place
- submission of the appropriate laser notification form and an X-ray notification form for each piece of laser and X-ray equipment on site