Academic registration may be granted to physicians appointed to the academic staff of the faculty of medicine, UBC at the rank of associate or full professor for:
- a research position where the clinical component is not greater than 40%,
- a partner institution appointment, approved by the dean of the faculty of medicine, where the clinical service component is not greater than 40%, or
- a position where the clinical practice component allows adequate output, as determined by the Registration Committee.
Prior to being eligible for registration in the academic class, physicians must receive academic certification from the either the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (specialists) or the College of Family Physicians of Canada (family practitioners), unless otherwise waived by the Registration Committee in exceptional circumstances.
Administrative registration may be granted to physicians for the following reasons:
- those who have a medical appointment in the public service, the provincial Ministry of Health, or the Mental Health Review Board
- for administrative purposes upon request from the faculty of medicine, UBC
- for physicians in administrative or teaching positions with the College
An administrative registrant is not allowed to provide direct patient care.
Practitioners who are not eligible for a full or provisional licence in BC may be eligible to apply for restricted licensure as associate physicians under the direction and supervision of attending physicians in acute care settings. An associate physician is not licensed for independent practice and must not act in the capacity as the most responsible physician.
Requirements for a practitioner to qualify for eligibility include:
- a medical degree
- at least two years of postgraduate training in a medical or surgical specialty
- part 1 of the LMCC qualifying exams
For information on associate physician employment opportunities, please send an email outlining your interest together with a recent CV to Health Match BC (firstname.lastname@example.org). Health Match BC will work with eligible candidates to apply for open positions as they are made available, and will assist successful applicants with a submission of a registration package to the College.