- have a medical degree from a medical school listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools which includes the Canada sponsor note
- have acceptable training that warrants admission to a postgraduate program at the University of British Columbia, if requested by the associate dean of postgraduate medical education
- be legally entitled to live and work in Canada (work permit)
- meet the College’s English language proficiency requirements
- be enrolled in a postgraduate program outside of Canada or the USA
Please allow six weeks for the application to be processed.
- All postgraduate trainees must apply to, and be approved by, the postgraduate dean’s office at the University of British Columbia before being granted registration with the College.
- The College requires the postgraduate trainee’s approval of appointment from UBC, resume, and a letter of request from the department head under whose supervision the postgraduate trainee will be training.
- Once UBC has approved the postgraduate trainee’s application, the College will be informed via email.
- Upon receipt of that email, the College will email the postgraduate trainee an application package with further instructions. All of the forms must be completed and emailed or mailed back to the College at least six weeks prior to the training start date. Note: Failure to complete all of the forms and meet the deadline could result in registration not being granted on time.
- Once all the above steps have been completed, the postgraduate trainee must contact the College to arrange for an interview. All original documents (passport, medical degree, etc.) must be brought to this interview. Registration will be granted at that time.
- A non-refundable fee of C$140 is required to complete the application process. A portion of this fee ($40) is required to complete a criminal record check.
- A licensing fee of C$150 is required each year registration as a postgraduate trainee is maintained.
- A certificate of professional conduct must be issued by the postgraduate trainee’s current regulatory authority and be dated 60 days prior to the start of the appointment.
- All international medical graduates (IMGs) must submit their documents to physiciansapply.ca for source verification.