To view a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ's) about library services, please click here.
Guide to library services
We invite College registrants to contact our staff and explore library resources, online or on-site. Allow us to show you how to make retrieving evidence-based medical information more manageable. We are located downtown with plenty of parking, are near major health centres, and offer a quiet reading room plus helpful librarians and staff.
Services - free for registrants
Using the expertise of a librarian saves you time and ensures a thorough search. Ask a librarian to produce a bibliography on a particular subject. The librarian will search using:
- Medline and other subject-specific databases
- the library’s book and e-resource collection
- the web and other resources, as appropriate
You may select articles from the list produced or ask us to obtain them for you.
Journal article copies
- Up to 200 free journal articles per calendar year from our collection and the UBC libraries are free; articles from other libraries are retrieved on a cost recovery basis
- C$3 plus GST per article charge if over 200 articles
- Charges are refundable to physicians through the Doctors of BC CME Fund
- Free delivery service through email, mail, fax, Medi-Tran/Medi-Express courier, where available
- For article requests through Loansome Doc, our PubMed LIBID is BCCBCP
Books and e-books
Access over 7,000 print books and 250 e-books, including Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine. In addition, we access UBC’s collection on your behalf and, for an additional charge, books from other libraries. Loans are for an initial three week period. Renewals are subject to availability. Return postage for mailed books is included.
Cites & Bytes and monthly updates
Cites & Bytes, our monthly newsletter is a listing of recent articles of interest and is available via email and on our web site. Also available are monthly updates on specific medical subjects or journal tables of contents.
DVDs, and MP3s
- Three-week loan period
- Return postage is not included
- Free web-based audio and video clinical lectures available
Computer consulting and training
Personalized, individual sessions are available on request. Training may be in-person at the library, or through workshops presented in partnership with the UBC Division of Continuing Professional Development.
The e-journal collection numbers about 2,500 full-text journals, including The Lancet, BMJ, Annals of Internal Medicine and numerous titles from the Clinics of North America series.
Point of care tools
BMJ’s Best Practice, First Consult, ClinicalKey, e-Therapeutics, Access Medicine.
MEDLINE, PsycINFO, CINAHL, Cochrane Systematic Reviews databases, and more.
Services - with charges to registrants (+ GST)
- Photocopies (over 200 articles/year) C$3/article
- Interlibrary loans C$7/article (minimum)
- Non-College registrants C$120/year on approval of the director
College Library Vision 2017
The library is a valued and integrated program of the College, supporting its vision and mandate. We are a prime source of reliable clinical information for physicians and surgeons of British Columbia. Our primary function continues to be the provision of information and in-depth research directed by librarians.
The College supports the library’s commitment to a high level of service. The library staff creates a positive organizational culture through mutual respect and teamwork.
We explore new initiatives and partnerships to enhance physicians’ access to information in a cost-effective manner. We use and anticipate new technology to improve library service.
We value communication with our patrons and respond to their unique needs. We actively promote our services to the diverse community of College registrants. Service development and promotion is strategically guided by the information needs of BC physicians who are key knowledge leaders.
The values of the library include:
- service excellence
The Library Committee, a standing committee of the Board, oversees library policy and direction.
Director, Library Services: Karen MacDonell
Librarians: Niki Baumann, Robert Melrose, Paula Osachoff