2024 licence renewal begins January 1
Annual licence renewal begins January 1, 2024. Here is what registrants need to know in order to be prepared.
January 1, 2024: Start of annual licence renewal process
February 1, 2024: Deadline to complete the Annual Licence Renewal Form and payment of fees
March 1, 2024: Penalties applied for late licence renewal or late payment of fees
April 1, 2024: Suspension for non-renewal of licensure or non-payment of fees
Before annual licence renewal starts
To save time during the renewal process, registrants should sign into the registrant portal on the College website before January to:
- Add security questions. Registrants who have not already set their security questions will be required to set them before they can access the rest of the portal.
- Review contact information and update if needed. Changes in contact information throughout the year must be made within 14 days of the effective date of the change.
- Note: While the province-wide Connected Health System digital solution is being developed and implemented for referral-consultation, orders and secure messaging (Ocean MD), there remains a need to communicate with physician colleagues via fax. Please add an up-to-date fax number to your profile.
Retiring or resigning before February 29, 2024
Registrants planning on retiring or resigning can submit a resignation form before February 29, 2024 to be exempt from the 2024 annual renewal process. Further details about retirement/resignation options can be found on the College website.
See frequently asked questions about the annual licence renewal process on the College website.
- BC driver’s licence (for verifying a registrant’s identity for the criminal record check)
- Method of payment (credit or debit card)
- Continuing professional development (CPD) cycle date
- Note: This does not apply to podiatric surgeons.
- Health authority letter of reappointment (for verifying hospital privileges)
- Certificate(s) of professional conduct
- Note: If a registrant has worked in another jurisdiction in the past 12 months and does not have out of province status, or if a registrant has signed undertakings to waive the requirements in accordance with section 25.3 of the Health Professions Act, certificate(s) of professional conduct must be sent directly from the appropriate regulatory body(ies) to the College.
Schedule time to complete the form
It takes approximately 30 minutes to answer the entire form. As the information collected on the Annual Licence Renewal Form is personal and provides details of a registrant’s practice, registrants will be asked to attest that they have completed the form themselves. Medical office assistants or other staff, partners or colleagues are not permitted to complete the form on a registrant’s behalf.
Use a computer―the form cannot be completed on a tablet or mobile device
The licence renewal process is best experienced using a PC or Mac. Mobile devices, smart phones, tablets and iPads are not supported. See the College website for the full technical requirements.
The 2024 renewal fee of C$1,875 can be paid in one of two ways online:
- by credit card
- by debit credit card
For further details on annual licence renewal, please see the College website.