Jump to navigation
Safe Prescribing ResourcesHow can opioids, sedatives, and stimulants be prescribed in a safe and effective way? The new Safe Prescribing document highlights literature selected by the College's Prescription Review Program, with links and access options provided by the library.
This month's featured specialities are: orthopedics and physical medicine and rehabilitation. We have placed these citations after the "Sights unseen" section.
1. Behavioral disorders in dementia: appropriate nondrug interventions and antipsychotic use (1.1) and Cognitive tests and determining fitness to drive in dementia: a systematic review (1.2)
2. Current controversies in the pharmacological treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
3. Fiber, prebiotics, and diarrhea: what, why, when and how
4. Primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in older adults
5. Magnesium in pregnancy
6. Diagnosis and treatment of obstructive sleep apnea in adults (6.1) and An update on cardiovascular effects of obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome (6.2)
7. Jam injuries of the fingers: diagnosis and management of injuries to the interphalangeal joints
8. What’s new in the world of postmenopausal sex?
9. Overview of serum uric acid treatment targets in gout: why less than 6 mg/dL?
10. Thrombotic microangiopathy care pathway: a consensus statement for the Mayo Clinic complement alternative pathway-thrombotic microangiopathy (CAP-TMA) disease-oriented group
11. Health care maintenance for the pediatric patient with inflammatory bowel disease
12. Severe community-acquired pneumonia: timely management measures in the first 24 hours
13. Update on management of epilepsy in women for the non-neurologist
14. Psychiatric emergencies for clinicians: emergency department management of alcohol withdrawal
15. The impact of cognitive challenges in major depression: the role of the primary care physician
16. Contemporary review of treatment options for Peyronie’s disease
17. Managing syncope in the elderly: the not so simple faint in aging patients
18. Myocarditis in clinical practice
19. Comparative efficacy and tolerability of antidepressants for major depressive disorder in children and adolescents: a network meta-analysis
20. Complementary/integrative therapies that work: a review of the evidence
21. Primary sclerosing cholangitis
22. Endometrial cancer: not your grandmother’s cancer
23. Common prepubertal vulvar conditions
24. Osteochondral lesions of the ankle
25. Spontaneous subarachnoid hemorrhage: a systematic review and meta-analysis describing the diagnostic accuracy of history, physical examination, imaging, and lumbar puncture with an exploration of test thresholds
26. Effect of mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists on proteinuria and progression of chronic kidney disease: a systematic review of meta-analysis
27. Effectiveness of psychological interventions for postnatal depression in primary care: a meta-analysis
28. Cigarette smoking and semen quality: a new meta-analysis examining the effect of the 2010 World Health Organization laboratory methods for the examination of human semen
29. Transvenous neurostimulation for central sleep apnoea: a randomised controlled trial
30. A randomized controlled trial evaluating the efficacy of oral sucrose in infants 1 to 3 months old needing intravenous cannulation
31. Cost and outcome of behavioural activation versus cognitive behavioural therapy for depression (COBRA): a randomised, controlled, non-inferiority trial
32. CPAP for prevention of cardiovascular events in obstructive sleep apnea
33. Comparison of amniotic membrane transplantation and umbilical cord serum in acute ocular chemical burns: a randomized controlled trial
34. Association between MRI exposure during pregnancy and fetal and childhood outcomes
35. Zoledronic acid treatment after acute spinal cord injury: results of a randomized, placebo-controlled pilot trial
36. BSR and BHPR guideline on prescribing drugs in pregnancy and breastfeeding- part I: standard and biologic disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs...(36.1) and Part II: analgesics and other drugs used in rheumatology practice (36.2)
37. Treatment recommendations for respiratory symptoms in cancer patients: clinical guidelines from the Japanese Society for Palliative Medicine
38. Screening for latent tuberculosis infection in adults: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement
To access the lectures, go to the library's Audiovisual webpage. In the Lectures section, click on "Please click here for access details". You will be asked to login. Once you have logged in, you will see instructions on how to login to Audio-Digest and download the mp3 files.
Geriatric medicine: prevention and management of infectious disease
Cognitive challenges in cancer patients/Right to have or refuse treatment
To access eBooks, login will be required. Please note eBooks are not available to borrow.
Comprehensive gynecology, 7th ed.
Current medical diagnosis & treatment, 56th ed.
Principles and practice of hospital medicine, 2nd ed.
Teaching rounds: a visual aid to teaching internal medicine pearls on the wards (AccessMedicine)
39. Halo and spillover effect illustrations for selected beneficial medical devices and drugs (39.1) and Brainjacking: implant security issues in invasive neuromodulation (39.2)
40. ORTHOPEDICS. Surgical management of osteoarthritis of the knee: evidence-based guideline
41. ORTHOPEDICS. Management of rib fractures in traumatic flail chest
42. ORTHOPEDICS. A randomized multicenter trial comparing autologous chondrocyte implantation with microfracture: long-term follow-up at 14 to 15 years
43. ORTHOPEDICS. Pain management after outpatient anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials
44. ORTHOPEDICS. Review of lower extremity traction in current orthopaedic trauma
45. ORTHOPEDICS. A prospective randomised controlled trial of the fibular nail versus standard open reduction and internal fixation for fixation of ankle fractures in elderly patients
46. PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND REHABILITATION. A structured overview of trends and technologies used in dynamic hand orthoses
47. PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND REHABILITATION. Effects of modified sit-to-stand training on balance control in hemiplegic stroke patients: a randomized controlled trial
48. PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND REHABILITATION. Effects of electrical stimulation on risk factors for developing pressure ulcers in people with a spinal cord injury: a focused review of literature
49. PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND REHABILITATION. WalkAide efficacy on gait and energy expenditure in children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy: a randomized controlled trial
50. PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND REHABILITATION. Home-based hand rehabilitation after chronic stroke: randomized, controlled single-blind trial comparing the MusicGlove with a conventional exercise program
51. PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND REHABILITATION. Update on brain tumors: new developments in neuro-oncologic diagnosis and treatment, and impact on rehabilitation strategies
Please note that the articles included in Cites & Bytes are for your information and are not considered College policy.