Report an unlicensed practitioner

How to report concerns regarding unlicensed practice

If you have concerns about someone engaging in the unlicensed practice of medicine, you can bring it to our attention by:

  • calling 604-733-7758 (toll free 1-800-461-3008)
  • emailing through the online form
  • completing the Unlawful Practice of Medicine Report
  • mailing a letter to:

    Investigations Department
    College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC
    300–669 Howe Street
    Vancouver BC  V6C 0B4

Reports about unlicensed practitioners should be comprehensive and contain sufficient detail to allow the College to conduct an investigation.

While reports can be made anonymously, we may require the person making the report to identify themselves in a court affidavit in order to take legal action against the unlicensed practitioner. The College’s options for action against the practitioner may be limited without evidence from someone who has received treatment from an unlicensed practitioner.

Ask the health professional if they are licensed and registered

If you have doubts about whether someone is regulated, feel free to ask the health professional if they are licensed and registered under the Health Professions Act.

Contact the health professional’s regulatory authority to:

  • inquire about the proposed treatment or procedure
  • determine whether it is appropriate for that health professional to perform the treatment or procedure

To find out more about what these health professionals are authorized to do, or to obtain contact information for the regulatory organization that governs these professions, visit