Podiatric surgeon resident elective
An applicant must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- have a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine degree from one of the recognized podiatric medical education programs specified in Schedule D of the College Bylaws
- successfully completed parts I and II of the American Podiatric Medical Licensing Examinations (APMLE)
- be a podiatric surgeon resident in a training program accredited by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education
- provide a request for registration to the registrar from the applicant’s supervising podiatric surgeon satisfactory to the College
- meet the College’s English language proficiency requirements
- have Canadian citizenship, be a permanent resident or be legally able to live and work in BC
How to apply
Residents in podiatric surgery training programs wanting to apply for registration and licensure to complete an elective should email their inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive detailed instructions on how to apply.
Applicants will have to complete an application form, pay fees and submit supplementary documentation as part of the application process.
Completed applications must be submitted to the College six weeks prior to the anticipated start date. Failure to meet this deadline may result in a delayed start to the elective.
Podiatric surgeon residents cannot start their elective until their licence has been issued.
For supervising physicians and surgeons
Physicians and surgeons wishing to supervise a podiatric surgeon resident must first be approved by the College before completing the following steps:
- confirm in writing to the College they will be responsible for the supervision of any clinical contact between the podiatric surgeon resident and patients
- inform patients that the visiting podiatric surgeon resident is participating in an educational experience under their supervision
- obtain verbal consent from patients to allow the visiting podiatric surgeon resident to participate in the care situation
- provide direct supervision during the visiting podiatric surgeon resident’s clinical experience
A letter from the hospital/health authority approving the visit is mandatory if a portion of the educational activity is to take place in a hospital.
Supervising physicians must not be a relative of the podiatric surgeon resident. Contact the College at email@example.com for more information.