Postgraduate residents enrolled in family medicine, specialty and subspecialty training programs at the UBC Faculty of Medicine must be registered with the College.
An applicant must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- have a medical degree from a medical school listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools which includes the Canadian sponsor note
- be enrolled in postgraduate training in the UBC Faculty of Medicine
- meet the College’s English language proficiency requirements
- have Canadian citizenship, be a permanent resident or be legally able to live and work in BC
Maintaining the licence
The UBC Faculty of Medicine must notify the College directly of each postgraduate resident’s continuation in their program. Ongoing registration and licensure is maintained by the resident by
- completing the annual licence renewal form to the satisfaction of the College, and
- online payment of the annual licence renewal fee as detailed in Schedule A of the College Bylaws.
Licence renewal process
The annual licence renewal process is accessed through the registrant portal. Residents will be notified by email of the licence renewal process in the spring of each year.
Failure to complete the annual licence renewal process will result in the cancellation of a resident’s licence. The licence will be reinstated when the annual licence renewal form is completed to the satisfaction of the College, and online payment of all outstanding fees is made.
For more information about the requirements for registration and licensure, refer to:
Clinical associate eligibility
Postgraduate residents who meet certain criteria may be authorized to provide supplementary services, under supervision, for patients receiving a service within a health authority in a clinical academic centre affiliated with the UBC Faculty of Medicine.
They may also use the title “resident – clinical associate” if they meet the following eligibility criteria:
- are enrolled in a Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) specialty postgraduate training program at UBC
- have successfully completed a minimum of 24 months postgraduate training
- be a licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC)
How to apply
Eligible postgraduate residents wanting to apply for a clinical associate licence must complete and submit the following forms via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.