For physicians enrolling in further clinical or research training at the UBC Faculty of Medicine who have not yet completed the educational requirements for certification as a specialist.
An applicant must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- have a medical degree from a medical school listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools which includes a Canadian sponsor note
- be enrolled in a postgraduate training program outside of Canada
- meet the College’s English language proficiency requirements
- have Canadian citizenship, be a permanent resident or be legally able to live and work in BC
How to apply
Postgraduate trainees pursuing further clinical or research training are registered with the College through the UBC Faculty of Medicine.
Applicants have to complete an application form, pay fees and submit supplementary documentation as part of the application process.
Completed applications must be submitted to the College six weeks prior to the anticipated start date. Failure to meet this deadline may result in a delayed start to the elective.
Postgraduate trainees and fellows cannot begin their training until their licence has been issued.
Maintaining the licence
The College must receive a written request directly from the UBC Faculty of Medicine to extend a postgraduate trainee licence. Once a request has been received and approved, ongoing registration and licensure is maintained by the trainee or fellow by
- completing the annual licence renewal form to the satisfaction of the College, and
- online payment of the annual licence renewal fee as detailed in Schedule A of the College Bylaws.
Failure to complete the annual licence renewal process will result in the cancellation of the postgraduate trainee licence. The licence will be reinstated when the annual licence renewal form is completed to the satisfaction of the College, and online payment of all outstanding fees is made.
For more information about the requirements for registration and licensure, refer to: