Taking time away

Temporarily inactive status

Registrants may wish to take time away from their practice in British Columbia.

If your status is changed to temporarily inactive, you will no longer be active for the practice of medicine, including providing clinical care, prescribing drugs, or billing the Medical Services Plan.

Requests for a change to temporarily inactive status are not granted for leaves for humanitarian aid work.

Moving away

Registrants choosing to relocate their medical practice to another province, territory or country for a period longer than two months while wishing to maintain their licence in BC should notify the College by emailing registration@cpsbc.ca. Their status will be transferred to out of province.

Email notification to the College

Out of province status

Registrants who are transferred to out of province will not be able to bill or prescribe in BC. They will need to contact the College for the steps required of them to change their status to in province.

Postgraduate study outside of BC

Registrants of the College may temporarily relocate to another province, territory or country to complete a period of formal postgraduate training. They may be eligible for a pro-rated refund of their annual licensure fees if they intend to temporarily cease practice in BC during this time.

Physicians who may be eligible should email registration@cpsbc.ca and attach a letter from their program director confirming the details of their training.

Email details to the College

Health leave

Registrants may need to take time away from work for health reasons at some point during their career.

Learn more about taking health leave

Parental leave

Registrants transitioned to temporarily inactive – parental leave may be eligible for a waiver or a pro-rated refund of their annual licence renewal fees minus a processing fee.

Registrants are not required to inform the College they are taking parental leave. However, registrants who choose not to change their status to temporarily inactive – parental leave are not eligible for a refund or exemption from paying licensure fees.

Complete and submit the form to registration@cpsbc.ca at least two weeks prior to the start of the leave period.

Download parental leave of absence form

Looking to return to work after parental leave?

Download parental leave - return to work form

Have you been away for awhile?

Registrants listed as temporarily inactive must still complete the annual licence renewal form. They are expected to comply with section 2-5 of the Bylaws by being enrolled in the College of Family Physicians of Canada, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or the Collège des médecins du Québec’s continuing professional development programs.

Learn more about continuing competency requirements

Registrants taking time away from practice should consider their clinical currency. Physicians registered and licensed by the College for independent practice are considered current for clinical practice when they have practised within their scope of their certified training and recent experience for at least 24 weeks in the preceding three years. Note that this excludes research, teaching, administration or medical regulation.

Learn more about clinical currency

Returning to practice

Registrants should contact the College approximately six weeks prior to their intended start date of practice in BC to obtain a list of requirements to reactivate their licence.

Email the College for the list of requirements

Looking to return from health leave? Learn more about returning to work after illness.

Learn more about the options for retiring or resigning
Learn more about the policies that the Registration Committee uses to consider applications